American Express is offering a’ welcome’ bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards Points for those signing up for its American Express Gold Rewards Card. This is sufficient to travel anywhere within Continental North America. Additionally, the company is offering the first year free of charge — another savings of $ 150. It is also offering supplementary cards free for the first year.
Here are the benefits of the American Express Gold Rewards Card:
- Double points on every dollar spent on ‘eligible travel purchases’, which include air, water and rail tickets, last minute packages, cruises, car rentals and hotels. Not included are local transportation.
- Double points on every dollar spent on gas, drug stories and grocery stories recognized by American Express.
- You can transfer your points at a rate of 1:1 to Aeroplan and Avios, which is run by British Airways.
- You can also transfer points to other partners, such as Delta Skymiles, Starwood Preferred Guest Points and Asia Miles, which is considered Asia’s leading travel reward program. Check membershiprewards.ca for the conversion rate.
- You can charge any travel to your American Express Gold Rewards Card and then call to redeem your points.
Points to Note:
- You can redeem points towards a travel charge up to a year after your trip or purchase
- If you refer a friend, you earn a referral bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards Points.
- Emergency Medical Insurance. Covers when you travel outside of your province or territory. It will cover the first 15 consecutive days of the trip for those under 65 years of age.
- Trip Interruption Insurance. Covers non-refundable unused portion of your prepaid travel arrangements and transportation of up to $ 1,500 per tripper insured person up to a maximum of $ 6,000 if your trip has been cancelled or interrupted for a ‘covered reason’
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance. It will cover a max of $ 500 per trip for lost or damage to your checked-in or carry-on baggage.
- $ 500,000 Travel Accident Insurance
- You are a Canadian resident
- You have an annual personal income or a combined spousal income of $ 20,000 or more.
- You have not filed for bankruptcy in the past seven years.
To apply, visit the American Express Gold Rewards Card site.