Marriott & Chase Canada have upped their signup bonus for the Marriott Rewards Premium Visa credit card. They are now offering a special promotion of 50,000 Marriott Rewards Points. But theoretically it is only for those who have received letters, with a promotional code, inviting them to apply, and there is a deadline, usually mid-December. Until now, the standard sign up bonus has been, and is, 30,000 Points.
Besides the 50,000 Marriott Rewards Points, the offer also comes with one free night in a Category 1-4 hotel.
The annual fee of $120 is waived for the first year.
One of the biggest advantages of t Marriott Rewards Premium Visa credit card is that there is no foreign currency conversion fee, if the card is used abroad.
The system of benefits for the Marriott Rewards Premium Visa Credit Card is quite complicated but here is a simplified version:
- 5 Rewards Points for each net Canadian dollar spent globally on the Marriott/Ritz hotels.
- 2 Points for every dollar spent on tickets, if it was purchased directly from the airline, or on car rentals and restaurants.
- 1 Point for every dollar spent in other establishments.
- No charge for supplementary cards.
- 1 anniversary bonus night at any of the Category 1-5 hotels for being a card member.
- If you stay four consecutive nights, the fifth night is free.
Marriott has nine categories of hotels.
Rewards Points are charged at the following rate:
- Category 1 – 7,500 Points
- Category 2 – 10,000 Points
- Categories 3-9 — in increments of 5,000 Points
Ritz-Carlton Hotels are divided into five categories.
They start from 30,000 Points and go up in increments of 10,000 Points.
Upgrading to Silver/Gold & Platinum Memberships
- Every year 15 nights credit will be added to your account.
- With 10 nights in a year entitling you to Silver status, you will automatically be upgraded to this level.
- Gold: 50 nights per year
- Platinum: at least 75 nights a year.
Other Benefits of Marriott Rewards Premium Visa Credit card
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Receive coverage, at no additional cost, for damage due to collision or theft, if you charge on your MR card, and decline the rental company’s collision damager waiver.
- Zero Liability
- If your card has been forged and used, you will not be liable.
All in all, it looks a pretty neat card for Canadians even if there is no travel accident or travel cancellation insurance.