I recently received my American Express Platinum Card. I got 60,000 Membership Rewards Points, which is equal to C$600.00 (points rewarded once you have made purchases to a minimum value of $ 1000.00 within the first three months), but more if you transfer your points to Aeroplan or Avios. The referrer also gets between 10k-15k Points, depending on the card he or she has. The card also comes with complimentary membership to Priority Pass Lounges. As well, every year you get $200 in credits if you use the card to book your travel.
The card was shipped along with an elegant booklet by courier service. At C$ 699 per year, this is a pretty expensive investment from my point of view but it has already been profitable in the first year. I hope it will yield similar results in the years ahead as well.
How to Earn Membership Points Using American Express Platinum Card
- 1.25 Membership Rewards Points for every dollar spent on the card.
- The points can be transferred 1:1 to Aeroplan or Avios.
- The points can also be transferred to other airline loyalty programs, such as Alitalia and Etihad but at lesser values.
- The points can also be transferred to various hotel loyalty programs.
Here are some of the benefits of the American Express Platinum Card:
- In Toronto, the $25 Valet Service fee will be waived at Pearson’s Terminals 1 & 3.
- 15-percent discount in parking at the Express Park in Terminal 1, and in Daily Park in Terminals 1 & 3.
- Inside the Terminals, the card and the boarding pass will give you access to Pearson Priority Lane.
Airport Lounge Access:
The card opens up access to hundreds of lounges across the world, including most in Canada.
- Access to Plaza Premium Lounges, Servisair Executive Lounges and Jean Lesage de-Quebec VIP Lounge in Quebec City.
- Generally, access is for the cardholder, one guest/spouse and two children, or just the cardholder and the spouse/guest.
Outside of Canada
- Access includes Plaza Premium Lounges, Servisair Lounges, Priority Pass Lounges, as well as OneWorld Alliance and American Express Lounges
Other Flying Benefits:
- If an ‘eligible’ first or business class ticket has been purchased using the card in participating airlines, travelling companion will receive a complimentary or discounted ticket.
- If available, complimentary upgrades to first class from business class.
- Platinum Card members have privileges of Gold Preferred membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program.
- At Fairmont Hotels group, you will receive Fairmont President’s Club Platinum Membership, after five nights, instead of 30 nights or ten stays.
- Platinum Card members will be upgraded to Gold Elite membership with Club Carlson group and to Platinum membership with Le Club Accorhotels group.
- If you are booking at the Fine Hotels and Resorts, let the Amex Platinum Member Services know, and you will be eligible for some of the above mentioned benefits as well as complimentary breakfasts.
- The American Express Platinum comes with an extensive list of insurance coverage, but here are some interesting points:
- If the ticket was purchased through the card, coverage for flight delay, baggage delay and lost/stolen baggage.
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- There are discounts and preferential treatment related to entertainment (this could mean getting you tickets to your favourite show which might be officially sold out), car rentals and more. Please visit the American Express Canada site for more information.
- Complimentary one year memberships to participating golf clubs and resorts
The Platinum Travel Service
You can call them up and set up your account, preferences when it comes to travelling and set up your accounts with partner programs.
Here is how the American Express Platinum Card has worked so far for me:
- 60,000 Membership Rewards Points equals $600.00
- $200.00 annual travel credit, to be used when I book a travel through the card.
- Used Quebec City Jean Lesage International Airport VIP Lounge twice. Saved $140.00 (for two people)
- Used Toronto Pearson Airport’s Plaza Premium Lounge. Saved $80.00
So far saved/earned: $1020.00
Earning Going Forward
- $200.00 annual travel credit
- 1.25 Membership Reward Miles for every $1.00 spent. It means I will have to spend at least $40,000 to earn $500 worth of points, which is not going to happen.
- I am counting on at least three trips, which can save me about $250 in Lounge savings.
- It still will leave a gap.
Keep tuned for updates
Disadvantages of American Express Platinum Card:
- One of the biggest disadvantages with any American Express card is that it is not universally accepted as Visa or MasterCard. For example, the retail giant Costco will stop accepting American Express cards as of next year.
- American Express’ Platinum (and in the US Centurion as well) card holders also lost access to American Airlines and US Airways lounges, though it was partially offset by Amex opening more of its own lounges.
- Delta Airlines also cut off free access to guests of American Express Platinum Card.
Nevertheless, the Platinum Card is great for frequent travellers, and will remain so unless more partners opt out.Keep tuned for updates.
For more information on the American Express Platinum Card, or to sign up, visit the American Express site.
If you want to apply for the card, and want to use me as a referrer, here is the link: Apply for American Express Platinum Card