Capital One – Delta Airlines are offering a bonus of up to 25,000 Delta Skymiles for those signing up to Delta SkyMiles World MasterCard in Canada. It is a well reviewed card, but what is the value of it?
The Delta SkyMiles World MasterCard comes with the following perks:
- If your purchase is qualified and is posted to your credit card account within 90 days of account enrolment, you will earn 10,000 bonus Delta miles.
- If you spend at least $1,000 in net purchases within the first 90 days of enrolment, you will receive an additional 15,000 bonus Delta miles.
- Zone 1 Priority boarding on delta Airlines flights where available. This allows you board earlier.
- 3 miles for every $1 on delta purchases
- 2 miles for every $1 on all other net purchases
- 10,000 annual bonus miles when you spend at least $ 25,000 in a year.
This, in top of the usual MasterCard benefits, such as:
- Emergency Medical Assistance: to the primary card holder, spouse and dependents for the first 22 days of travel if he or she is under 65, and for 8 days if he/she is over 65
- Trip Accident: Receive up to $500,000 travel insurance coverage for you, your spouse and dependent children.
- Trip Cancellation/Postponement: If an illness, injury or other covered cause prevents you from starting the trip, you’ll be covered.
- Baggage Delay & Lost Insurance Coverage.
- Price Protection: When you use your Capital One Delta Skymiles World MasterCard to purchase a new item and if it is advertised for a lower price within 60 days, you can use this plan to get a refund of up to $100 per item and $500 per calendar year.
- Delta is part of the SkyTeam Global Alliance. Partners include airlines such as Air France, Alitalia, Aeroflot, Aeromexico, China Airlines, China Southern, KLM, Korean Air, Malaysian Airlines and Virgin Atlantic/Virgin Australia.
- Other members include hotels such as the Hilton chain (HHonors), Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG Rewards Club) and the Marriott chain (Marriott Rewards), credit card programs such as the American Express, and the Hertz car rental program.
- And conversion is allowed, at different rates. For example, there was a recent story about an elderly couple being crestfallen as their dreams of seeing Paris went awry after a conversion. Their more than 500,000 HHonors points were worth ten times less in Delta Skymiles.
- Find out HERE on conversion rates.
The Value of Delta Skymiles for Flights
It is a complicated structure, depending on the time you travel, and where you want to travel and with which airlines. Given the global nature of the alliance, the latter is understandable.
The travel period for 2014 is split into three — till February, between February and May 31, and after Jun. 1.
During the middle period, the Skymiles requirements are as follows: flights within continental US including Alaska but excluding Hawaii, and Canada costs between 17,500-30,000 Skymiles for economy and between 30,000-75,000 for BusinessElite, Business or First Class.
Eligibility for the Delta SkyMiles World MasterCard:
- Canadian resident
- Annual individual income of at leat $60,000 or household income of at least $100,000.
- Fee $120
The Emergency Medical Coverage is good but that is a MasterCard provision.
Delta ran into some turbulence recently after it downgraded the value of the Skymiles, but this seems to be a general trend.
And based on the different types of awards and regions, it is difficult to arrive at a dollar value for each mile.
Under these circumstances, the option is to figure out how much you will spend on your credit card and what type of travels you will be undertaking, to see out whether this card is a good one for you.
For more information on the Delta Skymiles Program